Rome however, isn't noted for its foreign food. There are notably fewer international restaurant than in other capital cities. Mainly because Italian food is so good. Italians are justly and famously proud of their food. But also, in general, rather dismissive of other foreign muck.
On a rare visit to one of the few Thai restaurants in Rome, the complaints and mutterings of Italian friends was telling, "Why couldn't we just go for some Italian food, some nice roast chicken and potatoes?" or, "If we wanted something different we could have had Sicilian or Tuscan?" Scandalous as it is to say, and for my Italian friends to believe, I miss food more than anything else. So when my friend Veejay introduced me to Indian Fast Food, I knew I'd found a little piece of home.
| Via Mamiani, 11 Piazza Vittorio Emanuele |
| spinach curry with roti, chick-pea curry and rice. |
Full is not the word.
The Karachi has gone upmarket you know ---- food still as good though (reading this has made me want to take a little trip in that direction)
ReplyDeleteVicky
I forgot that you two were regulars. It definitely did have a facelift after Rick Stein's visit! Maybe we should go when I'm back in the summer? xx
ReplyDelete